Thursday, October 19, 2017

"Rooted Rising"

When I was downtown two weeks ago to check out the new Hilton Hotel in the old Professional Building, I also stepped in to The Renaissance Hotel to have a look at their remodel job.  You might remember that I posted the front of this hotel back in June after I spotted their new paint job.

I was treated to a tour of the hotel lobby and given all kinds of details about the work that was done by a very friendly concierge by the name of Irma Rosario.  And, I took a lot of photos to share.

Rooted Rising is the theme for the entire remodel work and it refers to the many times this hotel has risen from the ashes.  In 1910 it burned to the ground, in the 70's it was imploded, and now it's been totally remodeled. Three "rises" and counting.


I'm going to start with my favorite piece in the lobby, this gorgeous glass sculpture called Growing Vases.  It was created by a company called Lasvit and made especially for the hotel.  It's lit like a chandelier from above.


The structure below the sculpture is a faceted table in five segments designed to represent the Grand Canyon.



It sits near the entrance to the hotel where taxis and shuttles pull up to drop off guests.  I was so taken with this sculpture that I almost wanted to tell all those guests passing by it on their way to the front desk to stop for a minute and admire it.

More from this beautiful remodel tomorrow.

12 comments:

Christine said...

So glad you popped in for a visit and got a tour as these photos are beautiful of their impressive sculptures.

Karl said...

Beautiful pictures of this hotel, Sharon, I like them all, outside and inside !

William Kendall said...

Fascinating lobby details, Sharon!

Steve Reed said...

Interesting! I love combination of hanging luminescence and that sculptural table.

Judy Ryer said...

Very modern and beautiful!

Lois said...

The glass sculpture is impressive. They did a wonderful job!

Lowell said...

I'm guessing the theme extends throughout the hotel. It will be interesting to see how it develops in the various area of the building. From your photos today, I'm very impressed. I wonder if there is a special meaning in how the exterior appears to be a series of entrances to caves or something similar?

RedPat said...

I remember your previous post. The inside looks beautiful - I love that sculpture too, Sharon!

Bill said...

The lobby is pretty nice and the glass sculpture is a stunner. I love it and if I could I would photograph it every time I visited the hotel. I sure that there are people who never take a look at it, sad!

Amy said...

I am totally loving the sculpture! Very unusual and decadent.

Thérèse said...

Simply marvelous!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Now this is what you call a grand entrance Sharon.. a show stopper! I can't imagine anyone walking by without stopping to have a closer look!