Friday, October 13, 2017

Tribute


I went to a preseason basketball game last Monday evening with my friend Janet who is a huge fan of the hometown team the Phoenix Suns.  She's such a fan that she's had season tickets 47 years.  One of the great players from the past, Connie Hawkins passed away a few days before so the Sun's did a very nice memorial to him before the game started.  I did get to see him play back in the 70's and he was one of the most skilled players I've ever seen.  He had been doing public relations work for the Phoenix Suns so we would see him at the games from time to time.  He'll be missed.


It's a good thing this was a preseason game because it was  pretty bad for the home team.  I think we were down around 40 points when we left.  The game was so bad, this guy decided to read the paper rather than watch the mayhem way below him.

Hopefully, the real season will get off to a better start.

8 comments:

Steve Reed said...

I suppose he's sending a message to the team by reading the paper in the stands rather than just going home!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh dear, that's the trouble with team sports there always has to be a losing team 😀😀

RedPat said...

Sports teams can certainly be hard on one's spirit. I've felt like that guy many times!

Lowell said...

It would appear that a lot of folks left before the end of the game! Sheesh, that sounds so bad!

William Kendall said...

Very good of the team to pay tribute to him.

Bill said...

Seeing your local team lose a big game is no fun but you got to remember it's only a game. Preseason games win or lose nobody cares very much.
I remember Connie Hawkins, a great player. I was a fan of the Boston Celtics when he was playing.

Kate said...

Your friend Janet is a truly loyal fan!

Jack said...

I remember Hawkins' name but I don't think I ever saw him. He played mainly in the years when I was in college and law school and the early law firm years. I was kind of busy . . .